Milburn School

milburnMilburn School is named after local footballer Jackie Milburn (11 May 1924 – 9 October 1988)

He was a football player principally associated with Newcastle United and England.







Birth and Family

Jackie grew up in Ashington, Northumberland. He was the cousin of the four professional footballing Milburn brothers John (Jack) Milburn, George Milburn, James (Jimmy) Milburn and Stanley (Stan) Milburn.



Jackie signed for Newcastle United after writing to the club in response to the club’s advert for trials, he scored six times in the trial game which was won 9-3. Club supremo Stan Seymour quickly signed Jackie up; he became a hero on parts of Tyneside when League Football returned after the Second World War in 1946.

Jackie played 395 games for Newcastle, and is the club’s second highest league and cup goal scorer with 200 goals.


Beyond Football

After retiring as a player, he went on to briefly manage Ipswich Town, then returned to Tyneside to become a sports journalist for the ‘News of the World’ newspaper.



In 1987 Newcastle United opened their new West Stand at St James’ Park. This was named ‘The Milburn Stand’ in honour of Jackie; a statue of Jackie was unveiled by Laura Milburn on Newcastle’s Northumberland Street in 1991. The inscription of the statue reads ‘John Edward Thompson Milburn, footballer and gentleman’, since then it has been moved to its present position on Strawberry Place, just outside of St James’ Park Stadium.